If like our boys, your children love to play with Playdoh you will know just how expensive it can get to replace the colours when the kids either mix the colours, embed the Playdoh into the carpet, or the favourite one in our house, leave the lid off and for it to go dry.
So imagine our delight, when, at Leo’s toddler group, they made their own Play Dough using ingredients that everyone has in their cupboards.
We took the recipe home with us and we’ve made some at home and it cost us nothing, and the best bit is it cost us nothing! That’s right nothing! We had all the ingredients in our cupboard. It was so easy too.
Here’s how to make your own Play Dough:
What you need:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 table spoon of oil
- Food colouring
What to do:
- Pour all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl
- Add the cup of water
- Add the tablespoon of oil
- Add a food colour if your choice of colour
- Mix all ingredients together until a smooth mixture (similar to that of custard) we found a fork was better for getting the smooth mixture then a spoon.
- Once you have a smooth mixture, cover the bowl and put in the microwave for two minutes.
- Remove from microwave and check under the top layer, if it is still runny then put back in the microwave for another minute.
- Once cooked and Playdoh like then leave to cool in bowl
- It is now ready to play with.