Our Cochlear Journey Update #2


It’s been a while since I wrote a piece on Leo’s Cochlear Journey and thought that it was time to correct that. 

Today in London after numerous appointments, hearing tests and speech and language sessions the team of people behind Leo’s care are all going to be making a decision on how to proceed, there are two options that could come out of this meeting. The first is that they are going to advise us that the best course of action for Leo is that he has Cochlear Implants now and that everything gears up for this. The second and from how things seem to have been going and from little snippets of what was/wasn’t said in his appointments the more likely scenario, is that they will want to defer Leo for five months and refer him back to our local hospital for regular hearing tests and care with the team of people local to us. 


A Bit of Brackground

Back in October of last year Leo had an MRI scan at our local hospital to see if they could see why Leo has a hearing loss and as a result of said MRI Scan they diagnosed EVA (Enlarged Vestibular Aquaducts). Basically this meant that we had to be extremely careful with Leo bumping his head as it could cause a loss of hearing, not an easy thing for  a boy that loves anything that involves climbing or being extremely active. 

Following on from that diagnosis Leo had a hearing test in December of last year, in which we discovered that Leo had had a further loss in hearing. The decision was then taken to refer him to St Thomas Hospital for assessment for Cochlear Implants. 


Where We Are Currently 

Well a lot has changed in the last couple of months we’ve been travelling to St Thomas and a lot hasn’t. 

The main thing that hasn’t changed is that Leo’s hearing at the moment hasn’t got any worse. Which is a good thing. 

On the flip side we have discovered thanks to St Thomas that Leo doesn’t have EVA (Enlarged Vestibular Aquaducts) at all and although this is a good thing it does open some more questions. 

Whatever happens in the meeting today one thing is certain it will definitely mean more appointments be they in London or Southend I know that Leo will get the best care both can give and that’s all that matters. 


Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Our Cochlear Journey Update #2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s