Our Cochlear Journey Update #3


Following on from the last update where we were waiting for St Thomas’s to have a meeting to decided whether or not to proceed with Leo having Cochlear Implants. 

We received the news from St Thomas that they want to wait for a while to see if Leo’s hearing gets worse or he falls further behind with his speech levels. Although not the news we were hoping for it does sort of make sense but disappointing  none the less. 

As part of the wait and see approach they have asked our local hospital to conduct monthly hearing tests to keep an eye on Leo’s hearing levels. We had our first appointment earlier this week and the news was not great. Leo performed extremely well in his hearing test doing exactly what his Audiologists asked of him, however when they tested his right ear he didn’t respond to sounds we know in the past he has responded to. 

To say we are worried is an understatement. Up to now, although Leo has had a progressive hearing loss it has always been progressive in both ears. As we stand at the moment we are looking at his left ear with a hearing level within the severe loss and his right ear with a hearing level of a profound hearing loss. 

We have follow up appointments already booked for June and July and I will post about them when we have had them. 

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Our Cochlear Journey Update #3

  1. Hi Richard. I’m sorry to read this news. I really hope that you will be able to move forward in Leo’s cochlear implant journey very soon. I’ll keep a look out for further posts and I’m sending you my best wishes.
    – Carly

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s